October BSIG — Saturday October 27th — 5:30pm — Metcalf Nature Center

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

October BSIG — Saturday October 27th — 5:30pm — Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The final BSIG outdoor observing event of 2018 will be this Saturday October 27th at the Metcalf Nature Center. It will start at 5:30pm (sunset will be at 6:07pm).

There is no charge, and anyone is welcome to join us!! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions, and to show you celestial objects thru their telescopes.

B-SIG events typically draw 40-60 people... so come early! We'll have enough telescopes and observing gear on hand for everyone to look through. But if you have your own telescope or binoculars -- bring them!! The more the merrier. And if you've got a telescope you need help with, bring it with you and we'd be happy to help you learn how to set it up and use it!

Saturn and Mars continue to dominate in the south after sunset, and the 86% illuminated Moon will rise around 8:30pm. The summer Milky Way continues to pass overhead during the evening with it's wondrous assortment of nebulae and clusters. And the Andromeda Galaxy and Fall constellations will be rising in the east after dark. So there will be plenty of objects to see.

Directions to Metcalf: (see this Google Maps link for directions to Metcalf -- it's from the West metro but it works for the the East too): https://goo.gl/maps/hbw2dbQyUgq

Head east from St. Paul along Hwy. 94. About four miles east of the I-694 / I-494 crossing is Minnesota State Highway 95, also known as Manning Avenue (exit 253). Turn south (right turn) and then almost immediately turn left onto the frontage road (Hudson Road S). Continue east on the frontage road for about one and one-half miles. Turn right onto Indian Trail, checking the odometer as you turn. Follow Indian Trail south for just about one and one-tenth miles, where you’ll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right (west side of the road), opening onto a dirt driveway with slight up-slope. This is the the entrance to Metcalf. A flashing red light will be on the entrance gate to help you find it...

If you haven't been to Metcalf, it can be little difficult to find the entrance in the dark, so please try to arrive with some daylight left...

The Metcalf observing site is located 14 miles east of downtown St. Paul. If you've got a GPS unit, here are the precise coordinates: Latitude: 44.93734 (North) / Longitude: 92.82157 (West)

If you're planning to come, please e-mail me at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you updated on any weather-related changes.

The long range weather forecast calls for mostly cloudy skies in the mid-40s. So please come dressed for the temps. We’ll have to keep an eye on the forecast as we get closer. I will post the Go-No Go decision here by 3pm on Saturday.

We hope to see you there!!

Suresh Sreenivasan
Cell: 612-910-0444
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Re: October BSIG — Rescheduled to Sat. Nov. 3rd -- 5:00pm

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

I waited as long as I could, but it does not look like the weather is going to cooperate on Saturday night. It looks like an 80% chance of rain tomorrow night.

I'll go ahead and cancel for tomorrow night and reschedule to next Saturday Nov. 3rd at 5:00pm, back at Metcalf Nature Center. The long range weather forecast is calling for partly cloudy skies on that night...

I hope everybody can make it out next week!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST