Feb. B-SIG Presentation - Selecting and using a Telescope, Mount & Accessories

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

Feb. B-SIG Presentation - Selecting and using a Telescope, Mount & Accessories

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

The next B-SIG presentation will be this Saturday Feb. 29th at 1:30pm at the Golden Valley Library.

Golden Valley Library: 830 Winnetka Ave N. Golden Valley, MN 55437

Steve Emert will be presenting Selecting and using a telescope, mount and accessories.

Synopsis:

We will discuss the different types of scopes and mounts available, what you should consider and what you should stay away from.

In addition to discussing the telescopes themselves, we’ll talk about accessories – finder scopes and zero power finders, the pros and cons of various red flashlights, dew mitigation, planispheres and star charts and how to use them, how to keep comfortable and warm while observing, and some ideas how to get (and stay) organized.

We hope you can join us!!

Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG Coordinator
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
aggregory

Re: Feb. B-SIG Presentation - Selecting and using a Telescope, Mount & Accessories

Post by aggregory »

Suresh,

At you next meeting, please remind your S-BIG members of the loaner scope program and how to access it online.

For those reading this message, the link is under the "Members" drop-down menu on the MNAstro homepage. Click "Loaner Equipment" view the telescopes in our inventory, and fill out the request form at the bottom of that page.

Antone
Sureshks

Re: Feb. B-SIG Presentation - Selecting and using a Telescope, Mount & Accessories

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Antone,

Would you like to come join us at the next BSIG at 1:30pm on Sat. at the Golden Valley library? We can give you a few minutes to introduce yourself to the attendees, many of whom are beginners who do not attend the monthly meetings.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

nealzimm

Post by nealzimm »

Unfortunately I missed the Feb. BSIG Presentation. Is there a youtube or presentation I could refer to to help with my search for equipment. I am "kinda"
settled on a telescope, but would like to have a equatorial mount and tripod/support for it. The scope is a 5 inch.

Thanks for the help.

Neal Zimmermann
jjplude

Post by jjplude »

+1
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Neal,

There was no recording of the Feb. BSIG. I've reached out to Steve Emert, who gave that talk to see if he can post his presentation here.

In the meantime, what questions do you have?

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Attached is a copy of the presentation. I can make a recording using Google Meet and post it to YouTube. When I get that done I will post a link here in response to this thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
nealzimm

Post by nealzimm »

Thank you so much!

Neal
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

I recorded the presentation and posted to YouTube. I did it in a single pass with no editing, so what you see is what you get! Here is the link:
https://youtu.be/Xs12LoiUtB8
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Excellent!
Thank you Steve.
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount