Parent of Astronomy Magazine Divesting All Assets and Closing...

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Sureshks

Parent of Astronomy Magazine Divesting All Assets and Closing...

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

Kalmbach Publishing, based in Waukesha, WI, is selling many of its assets to Firecrown Media in Tennessee.

Among Kalmbach's brands is Astronomy Magazine. This magazine is a primary source of astro information for all levels of amateur astronomers, and is one that I have continuously subcribed to for 40 years. I still have every issue I've received...

Kalmbach has been in business for 90 years. It looks like they will be divesting everything and then will close down completely (see the attached notice). Astronomy Magazine has been published continuously since 1973. The good news is that it appears that the new owners plan to keep the magazine going, and will be retaining the majority of its staff, some of whom our members know personally.

Hopefully, the magazine will continue to serve many more generations of amateur astronomers to come.

Suresh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
SEmert

Re: Parent of Astronomy Magazine Divesting All Assets and Closing...

Post by SEmert »

Well, that would explain why their web page states "Offer Unavailable" for Club member discount subscription offers at the astronomy.com/clubmember link. A few weeks ago I called customer service to ask when (or if) the offer would be reinstated, and the rep said they'd get back to me, which they haven't to date. I guess we'll just have to wait to see whether the new owners are willing to extend the club discount offer.

In the current economic environment, I fully expected that they would need to raise the subscription rates of $34 (one year), $60 (two years), or $83 (three years) to something higher as S&T did recently, as these prices had been in place for a very long time.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
SEmert

Re: Parent of Astronomy Magazine Divesting All Assets and Closing...

Post by SEmert »

Interesting, in light of the above. Yesterday I received an email advertisement for Astronomy magazine at a "special rate" of $34.95 for the print + digital version or $24.95 for the digital only version. Here is the link from the advertising email: https://kalmbach.dragonforms.com/loadin ... 7131645J7Z
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount